I promise I’m not exaggerating when I say that “It all starts with the gut”. Our gastrointestinal system influences the health of everything in the body & when it isn’t functioning at its optimal level, it can affect other body systems and lead to mood disturbances, systemic inflammation, & a host of other issues.
Truthfully, the gut is rather amazing. It is commonly known as our ”second brain”, has its own immune system, & makes nearly 90% of an important neurotransmitter, serotonin. Unfortunately, the food that we eat and even chronic inflammation can often result in a condition called ”Leaky gut syndrome”.
WHAT IS LEAKY GUT SYNDROME?
Leaky gut syndrome results from the lining of the gut being damaged – often by gluten, stress, illness, antacid drugs, and antibiotics. When the lining of our gut is damaged, things like undigested food particles and toxins can escape into the bloodstream and cause further inflammation. Our immune system attacks these ‘foreign invaders’ causing inflammation responses.
WHAT IS THE MICROBIOME?
The microbiome is developed from the time we are in our mother’s womb and is essential for human development, immunity and nutrition. Our gut is made up of trillions of good and bad bacteria that aid in protecting our health. A healthy microbiome can assist with immune regulation, metabolism, weight loss, mood and reducing inflammation.
COMMON SIGNS YOU MAY HAVE A LEAKY GUT
- Constant hunger or cravings, especially for carbs and sugars
- Joint and/or muscle pain
- Brain fog and diminished memory
- Skin issues, including eczema, acne or rosacea
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Hormonal imbalances
HOW CAN I NATURALLY IMPROVE MY GUT HEALTH?
- Remove inflammatory foods from your diet. Limit refined grains, processed foods, sugars and soda
- Eat fermented foods such as yogurt, kimchi, kefir or kombucha that have beneficial bacteria
- Limit gut-damaging medications such as NSAIDs and antibiotics
- Exercise at least 20 minutes a day
Gut health is foundational when it comes to your overall health. When you heal your gut, you heal your body!
NEED MORE SUPPORT?
If you’d like a more hands on approach for improving your gut health, click here to book a free Welcome to Wellness visit.
Leave a Reply